July 29, 2012

Summer Fun Day 3 -Baseball

Baseball
Read: On the Team Baseball by Mason Burdick

Discuss: Let's talk about good sportsmanship, what are some ways to show good sportsmanship?
  1. playing fair
  2. following the rules of the game
  3. respecting the judgment of referees and officials
  4. treating opponents with respect
Rules of the Game
I used page 12 and 16 in the Baseball Thematic Unit from Teacher Created Resources.  We talked about the rules of the game and baseball equipment.
  
Double Header Sums
I made a file folder game with the free Double Header Sums download.  J could practice his addition doubles and doubles plus one.  

Take Me Out to the Ball Game
Read: Take Me Out to the Ball Game by Maryann Kovalski

Discuss:
This is a popular song that is usually sung during the seventh-inning stretch at baseball games.

Materials:
  • Lined paper
  • Pencil
Directions:
  1. Copy the song onto your paper.
  2. Draw a picture on the back of your paper.
  3. Serve Cracker Jacks for a snack.  We watched Take Me Out to the Ball Game being sung at a Cardinals game. 
    Take me out to the ball game,
    Take me out with the crowd;
    Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
    I don't care if I never get back.
    Let me root, root, root for the home team,
    If they don't win, it's a shame.
    For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
    At the old ball game.

Baseball Word Families
I printed off a few of the Baseball Word Families and let J color them and cut them out.  Then he glued them onto a piece of red construction  paper.

Baseball Around the World 
I used page 63 in the Baseball Thematic Unit from Teacher Created Resources.  As I read about baseball in each country he found it on the world map.

T-Ball
J got to play T-Ball again this year.  This is his 3rd year playing and he really enjoys it.
 

No comments: